I have been waiting to share this all week, but haven’t had a chance to sit down and write it out. It’s funny, last week at work I was looking forward to my 9 day stretch off, had so many plans, going to make meals for all the new babies and their families, start spring cleaning, clean out my car, etc., then Emily ended up sick. Well, Monday while I was working and counting down the hours until my stretch off from work was to begin, I snuck in a little reading before my new surgeries came back to me and over my lunch break. I have really started to enjoy reading in the last 2 years, but in the last 17 months haven’t had much opportunity to sit down and read too many books. Anyway, I have had this book, written by Barbara Curtis, called The Mommy Manual, that’s the book I had taken to work. Little did I know, the small amount of reading I was able to get in would help me get through my 9 day stretch off!!
I have to admit, I am exhausted after this last week or so. I have had very little sleep, feel like a dog chasing my tail…. With Aaron and Emily both not feeling well, it’s been a long week! Here is how this paragraph in the book began….
“And through all the mommy moments, that still, small voice urges you to keep the washer and dryer going… ‘cause if you don’t you and I both know there’s no way you’ll ever catch up. Just your basic everyday mommy routine, seasoned here and there with the unexpected: trips to the emergency room…”
Little did I know we would be making that trip! Ok, so really, we all get tired, we all get discouraged, because we all feel we can never get caught up!
Curtis encourages us, “so for a moment, step back from the whirlwind of stuff families are made of. Stop for five minutes. Take a deep breath. Take a fresh look.”
Here is the part I love!! Ok, “image the turn-of-the-century carousel….colorfully crafted ponies, fantastic lions, and elegant ostriches.” What do we, as parents do when our children go round and round?? We stand there waiting for them to come and as soon as we see them, we smile and wave as they once again pass by, right?
“Imagine the children whirling round with smiles and laughter as their fantastic animals glide up and down. Merry-go-rounds are fun!” Right???
How come, we as mothers often feel like we are on a merry-go-round but aren’t having fun at all? The merry-go-round of motherhood often seems overwhelming and absolutely exhausting! Curtis challenges me as a mother to look at things from a different perspective. Thank the Lord I read this before this week!!!
“What if we saw ourselves on that merry-go-round, gliding gracefully up and down in time to the sweet, old fashioned carousel music? What if we could smile and laugh at the wonderful ride we’ve chosen? What if, instead of feeling frazzled, we felt excited and eager to see the smile of our heavenly Father each time we went around?”
Doesn’t that make the never ending, ups and downs of being a mom seem so much more exciting?!? God loves us, through it all and each time you wash yet another load of white clothes and think didn’t I JUST wash these?, God is there, saying go on, you can do it, I love you! Being a mom and a wife is more then just a job, God has given us the privilege, look for encouragement from Him. In Mark 9:37, Jesus says, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.” God loves mommies! 
Enjoy the ride!
1 comment:
Thanks for this reminder of the blessing it is to be a mama and wife!
Post a Comment