Thursday, May 6, 2010

Catching up

Anxious to see what my labs show tomorrow... but day one, complete (almost)! :) My dad showed up at 8am this morning and stayed until my mom came who stayed until Aaron was home for the evening. Needless to say, they are not letting me get away with much of anything! Actually, I joke about it but I really am "good". If it were just me I was responsible for, I probably would not be as good, but knowing I am totally responsible for the little life inside of me, well, there really is no question at all. Had some delicious cupcakes today! (Thanks Greta!!)
Well, I am sure the thought has gone through your head-"she probably shouldn't have went on the trip." I was cleared to go the day before we left by my MD who tends to be one of the most cautious... there was absolutely no indication that I was going to have blood pressure problems. The day before I left it was 125/7o. So, let's talk about the class trip! :)
Well, lets start with the most positive-we were not blown up at Times Square! :) However, we were within 5 or so blocks the entire evening.
We started in DC, lots of touring, sight-seeing.... I was excited to see the Airforce memorial this time since we weren't able to see it last trip (3 yrs ago). This trip was neat to me because a couple of the kids were more excited about seeing things-one is going into the Airforce and the other into the Marines.The kids waiting on the bus, worn out after little sleep and lots of touring (Arlington)Aaron and I in front of the Capital Building.The class in front of the White HouseAaron and I in front of the White House.There is so much to see in DC. One of my favorite memorials is the WWII Memorial. My Papa Ross fought in WWII. It is a beautiful memorial just built in 2006 with the Washington Monument at one ends view and the Lincoln Memorial at the other ends view.
The big touring day in DC, I started taking breaks here and there just to be on the safe side-so things that I had the opportunity to do 3 yrs ago, this time I would sit and wait while the kids went through. However, that evening when finishing at the Kennedy Center-I started in with a headache and even saw some "floaters", not to mention my ears were on fire and I was SO hot. I figured it was my blood pressure and when I got back to the hotel and took my shoes off, WOW! My feet were puffy!
Next day we went to the Smithsonian before heading to New York where Aaron and I sat down under a shade tree most of that time... then it was off to NEW YORK!
I say it like I am really excited-but I actually, well, I am just not a New York girl! I don't like the crowds, and there is very little green unless you are around Central Park. Not my type of place!
Jersey boys was excellent but kind of got overlooked due to the bomb threat. Times Square is crazy enough for me on a Saturday night but add in the bomb threat and WOW! Strange though-regular New York people acted as if nothing was really happening...
Sunday, I got to know our bus driver pretty well. Good ol' Byron let me stay on the bus as often as possible (due to swelling in my feet that would not go down). Let me tell you-this guy could drive! I was most impressed when he parallel parked the bus PERFECTLY! We joked with the kids when picking them up at Central park... by switching seats. I told them I drove all the way from 84th street to 76th. :) He was fun to be around and knew a lot of information about DC/NY. The kids LOVED him! That evening we went on a dinner/DJ cruise. The kids loved it and the views of the New York skyline and Statue of Liberty are amazing. I sat out on the roof deck enjoying the view while the kids danced the night away.Monday, I bought a book and sat down overlooking Rockefeller Plaza for most of the morning while the kids went to Top of the Rock and NBC studio tour. Reading The Shack-anyone read it? Very interesting, not finished yet but interesting!! Then, it was off to the airport to come HOME!!!
HOME would have been nice that evening if our flight didn't have a delay and then the connecting flight in Detroit would have been there as promised...instead we got to stay in Detroit and fly to Indy the next morning. Let me tell you, by 11:30 in Detroit when I was supposed to be home and had some medical issues going on that were starting to stress me out-I, well, had a breakdown, couldn't hold the tears back. I was tired, stressed and ready to see my girl and then my doctor!
Anyway, I was much more relaxed when we got to Indy and back to seeing horses, green grass and most importantly my sweet little girl!
We went to get her and she said "Mommy, your hair long" I guess it grew a bunch in 6 days!! :) Emily did really well while we were gone (or at least that's what Grandma's and Grandpa's tell us) but I think she is happy we are home, and I know I am happy to be home!
I don't have a ton of pictures after the first couple of days.. After I started feeling bad-Mandi and Andre were taking a lot of pictures so I just asked to get some from her so that I could relax a little more.
That is a quick, quick overview of the 6 day trip...
Photobucket

3 comments:

Chelsa said...

i hope you aren't blaming yourself for your BP going up! i'm pretty sure when your body starts to freak out it just freaks out (whether you are in washington d.c. or in washington indiana, haha, sorry for the bad pun!). but seriously, i'm sure going on the trip didn't cause your issues!! still praying SO much!

Tera said...

It sounds like you did try to behave yourself! :) Oh, Alex and I LOVE NYC! And The Shack...well, I refuse to read it but you know how I get on kicks about things. ;) Em was a good little girl while she was here Monday, but she was exhausted by the time she got to Mamaw Sue's!

Ashley said...

uhhh! I hate to hear that you didn't feel so hot and started to have swelling on your trip:( I will be praying for you that everything comes back ok...just rest, rest and well rest. haha. Take care!!