"Stop and think for a moment about the hands you have, how they have served you well throughout your years. These hands, though wrinkled and shriveled and weak have been the tools I have used all my life to reach out and grab and embrace life.
They braced and caught my fall when as a toddler I crashed upon the floor. They put food in my mouth and clothes on my back. As a child, my mother taught me to fold them in prayer. They tied my shoes and pulled on my boots. They held my husband and wiped my tears when he went off to war.
They have been dirty, scraped and raw, swollen and bent. They were uneasy and clumsy when I tried to hold my newborn son. Decorated with my wedding band they showed the world that I was married and loved someone special.
They wrote my letters to him and trembled and shook when I buried my parents.
They have held my children and grandchildren, consoled neighbors, and shook if fists of anger when I didn't understand.
They have covered my face, combed my hair and washed and cleansed the rest of my body. They have been sticky and wet, bent and broken, dried and raw. And to this day when not much of anything else of me works real well, these hands hold me up, lay me down and again continue to fold in prayer.
These hands are the mark of where I've been and the ruggedness of life.
But more importantly it will be these hands that God will reach out and take when He leads me home. And with my hands, He will lift me to His side and there I will use these hands to touch the face of Christ."
(A picture of Grandma's hand with mine, my mom's and Emily's taken December 17, 2007)
Yesterday, My great-grandma, "Grandma Ross", went to be with the Lord in heaven. This poem is so very true of my grandma, sending her husband to war, and always folding her hands in prayer. She is a woman of strength, love and faith and I was so blessed by her as my grandma.My Papa (in the picture below) and Grandma were married 68 years. They were always so funny to me... Papa called her Mama and was always loving on her. She would always say "Lloyd!" I look back now and am thankful for the example of marriage they were, through thick and thin they always loved each other. I asked Aaron last night, "Can you imagine being married 68 years?", he just laughed at me! :) Please pray for my Papa as he battles health issues of his own as well as living without his love. My mom and dad are Emily's "Papa and Grandma". I am thankful that Emily will have a very special Papa and Grandma in her life, just like I did.
A few memories...We were blessed to have 5 generations. This picture of all of us together was taken just over 2 years ago on
"A family is like a quilt, threaded together with love."

9 comments:
What sweet and precious memories...you can feel your family's love jump right off the computer screen. Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear of your loss.
what a great post to honor your grandma. i am sorry for your loss, but know she is in an amazing place. thanks for sharing her with us :)
I am so sorry for your loss. What beautiful memories you have of your grandma. Such wonderful treasures to hold on to. Continue to share those memories with your loved ones during this time-it will help to bring you comfort. Praying for you and your family.
Susie said it. It's like the love just jumps out of the computer..So sorry, but still what a time to rejoice and know she is in such a better place! Thinking of your family.
I love hearing the stories about your family and know how much she meant to you and your mom. 68 years takes an incredible amount of love!
We are praying for you!
What great memories you had with your grandma! I know it can be hard on everyone and especially for your grandpa. It sounded like they had a wonderful marriage! She is in a better place now and you will meet again:) Take care!
I know this is especially hard on your mom and I wanted you to know we've been praying for you all. My girls want to make Emily a card. :) I love the 5 generation pictures.
i love the hand picture! so sorry for your loss. keep your memories close!
Post a Comment