She started with a cold on Tuesday... then last night started having a lot of trouble breathing, a really tight cough so off to the ER we went. Well, it wasn't that easy.... me being the nurse tried to fix it first, tried a hot steamy bathroom, didn't work, even took her on the front porch to breathe in the cold air, didn't work, tried to calm her down, let her rest, didn't work.... so finally knowing in the back of my head that she probably needed a breathing treatment, I called my friend Tera, kind of hoping she would help me "fix it" at home... that didn't work either! :) (BTW-thanks Tera, I really appreciate it!) Well, then I have to admit, I tried one more thing, I called Emily's Dr to talk to their nurse. By this point though, I was trying to decide which ER to take her to, here in town or Deaconess where Dr. Rogers is/and was on call.
So, to our ER we went. I had taken her temp at 8:30 and it was normal, 98.4, by the time we got to the ER, an hour and a half later, her temp was 101.5. She was tested for RSV, that came back negative, then had a breathing treatment, which she HATED! Then, she had a chest x-ray thinking she had pneumonia, gave her a dose of Rocephin, prescriptions and instructed us to follow up first thing in the morning with Dr. Rogers, the results of the x-ray would be faxed to her. He sent us home at 1:00 AM.
So, Emily goes to bed but is restless, still not breathing great and still fast, with a little wimper every breath. Of course, I am going through the entire day in my head, thinking "did I miss something, should I have caught it sooner?, etc." I can't sleep, neither can she... At 2:00, I went out on the couch so that Aaron would hopefully get a few hours of sleep before going to school (first day in 2 weeks that he hasn't had a delay or been cancelled) plus the game tonight at Springs Valley. At 3:00 I was tired of going back and forth to Em and crashed in her bedroom floor, next to the crib. We got a few hours of sleep....
Grandma Sue came over this morning so that I could run and get the breathing treatment stuff and antibiotics... this morning she did not feel good and was probably exhausted on top of that. I called Emily's dr., they read the report, she definitely has pneumonia in both lungs, probably both bacterial and viral. For now, we are going to continue with the breathing treatments and antibiotics and we will follow up with her on Tuesday.
Thanks to Aunt Alison for bringing us lunch and reading lots of books to Em! After a 2 1/2 hour nap this afternoon, (and 1 1/2 for me) she (and I) perked up and seemed to be feeling a little better. My mom and dad brought supper over and she was playing a little more and reading books with Grandma.
I gave her a bath, brushed her teeth and added a breathing treatment to our routine and then we went "nigh, nigh". It wasn't quite that easy tonight...She hasn't had her paci for the last couple of days because she can't breathe when it is in her mouth, so I thought we might be able to get rid of that, however, that's not the case. After 40 minutes of singing, rocking, crying (her not me), I gave in and gave her her paci and without a wimper she was asleep.
Anyway, that is our adventure the last couple of days.... say a little prayer that she will be better and back to her normal self soon! :) I did take advantage of a "slower" Emily and snapped some pictures....

Emily with her bear that she got from the ER.

Showing her new friend around...

She thought this was so funny, she would put the bear between her legs and then bring him up to her mouth and give him a big kiss! Too funny!

Loving on bear.

Sweet girl, doesn't feel good.

Feeling a little better, I love this smile! :)

Check out this pose, looks like a Senior picture pose! :) HAHA! I told you she perked up this afternoon!
10 comments:
Awww, prayers to you little Em, being sick is no fun.
hope emily gets to feeling better... poor thing...when Karson got rsv as an infant RSV didn't test positive until a couple days after they took one test and it was negative.. momma's instinct knew there was somthing wrong..they said sometimes it takes a little while for it to actually test...just a thought.. you prob. already knew that though.
Mandy, we just missed you at the ER. We were there Tues. night. On Wed. we ended up seeing Dr. Ruff where we found out that Josie had RSV and an oxygen level of 84. We "enjoyed" our stay at Jasper hospital until Thurs. I hope Emily gets feeling better soon. Have a good weekend and get some sleep!
Aw poor Em! We had a few battles with pneumonia last year with Ayla. Def not fun, we figured out something that could sit her still enough for the breathing tx (that she also hated). Otw, it looks like she is feeling better. The close up pics are beautiful!! Make sure you take care of yourself so Mommy doesn't get sick now!
Sorry to hear your little Emily is having to go through all that & You & Aaron too. Just for reassurance there is alot of that pneumonia going around that just shows up overnight without warning. You're a good mommy you can see Emily is a happy baby even just after a few rounds of medicine!
Poor baby!! As soon as you told me she was retracting that night, I knew there wasn't much we could do for her at home...I'm just happy she didn't end up in the hospital overnight. Thanks for the text update, I'd been worrying about her. It sounds like she's doing better with the meds now. She still looks awfully sweet even when she's feeling sick! Take care of yourself too. ((big hugs))
Praying for you both!!
I think I would have been doing the same things you were doing....and trying to "fix" her. haha. I guess it is a nurse thing! Glad they found out what was wrong and she is getting her medicine. Hope she starts feeling better soon!!!
Sue was telling me how sick she was...she'll snap out of it soon...Rocephin is a "magic" shot...your ped will prob do a follow up chest xray to confirm that pneum is gone, so your mind will rest easy then...breathing treatments are awful...I used to have to literally hold my kids to the floor to get them in...Now, 3-5 yrs later, they've finally given up...LOL...but now we don't need breathing treatments!!
Sue was telling me how sick she was...she'll snap out of it soon...Rocephin is a "magic" shot...your ped will prob do a follow up chest xray to confirm that pneum is gone, so your mind will rest easy then...breathing treatments are awful...I used to have to literally hold my kids to the floor to get them in...Now, 3-5 yrs later, they've finally given up...LOL...but now we don't need breathing treatments!!
Post a Comment